Niagara St.Jail-frontal

The Lincoln County Jail
116 Niagara Street
Built: 1866
Demolished: 1976
Architect: W.G. Storm

The Lincoln County Jail was in use from 1866 until the opening of the Niagara Regional Detention Centre in 1973. The jail’s first occupant, Jack Bryant, was on of the 164 other prisoners in the first year of operation. Six escapes occurred during the jail’s 107-year existence. Only one hanging took place, Sidney Gordon Chambers was hung on December 16, 1946 for the murder of a 9-year-old St.Catharines girl.