Search

St. Catharines Heritage

Our Built Heritage

Category

Heritage Buildings

Salem Chapel, BME Church – 92 Geneva Street

IMG_5816
Salem Chapel, BME Church – 92 Geneva Street, St. Catharines

Salem Chapel British Methodist Episcopal Church National Historic Site of Canada is a gable-fronted church set on a high foundation. Located at 92 Geneva Street, in St. Catharines, Ontario, this stucco-clad building is distinguished by its regularly arranged pointed-arch windows, modest scale and overall simplicity. Official recognition refers to the church on its footprint at the time of designation.

Salem Chapel British Methodist Episcopal Church was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1999 because:

  • it is typical of the auditory-hall design of underground railroad (UGRR)-related churches;
  • through its association with famed UGRR conductor Harriet Tubman, it was an important locus of abolitionist activity in Canada.

Salem Chapel British Methodist Episcopal Church was an important centre of 19th-century abolitionist and civil rights activity in Canada. Built circa 1855, it replaced a smaller log church in order to accommodate St. Catherines’ growing community of refugees arriving via the underground railroad. Among them was Harriet Tubman, the famous UGRR conductor, who lived near Salem from 1852-1857 and personally led many refugees from the southern United States to safety in Canada. The heritage value of this church resides in its exceptional associations with the anti-slavery movement and the early UGRR black community to which it bears witness as illustrated by the church with its auditory-hall form, typical of early African Canadian churches.

St. Paul Street United Church – 366 St. Paul Street

Built of red brick, favoured by the Methodist Church, the structure was built in 1861 having rounded windows, pinnacled and centre towered Italianate style. Although the church was seriously damaged by fire, the original structure was retained in the reconstruction of the building. The exterior of the original church remains as constructed in 1861 with the exception of change of the front entrance in 1956.

St. Paul Street Methodist Church
Photo from the Niagara Falls Library website.

First United Church – 95 Church Street

Constructed in 1877; and built by Samuel Dolson, the former church is an excellent example of the Lombard Romanesque style of architecture, which is characterized by a gable roof across the front of the church and a projecting entrance. Further characteristics of this style include rounded arches for doors and window openings. Four detailed buttresses rise up as towers, each supporting a small metal spire. The 12 petal stained glass ‘rose’ window is a prominent feature on the front façade. The builder, Samuel Dolson’s work is considered locally significant and the subject building is a strong local landmark and streetscape feature along Church Street.

First United Church – 95 Church Street

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑