The Lincoln County Jail
116 Niagara Street
Architect: W.G. Storm
The Lincoln County Jail was in use from 1866 until the opening of the Niagara Regional Detention Centre in 1973. The jail’s first occupant, Jack Bryant, was on of the 164 other prisoners in the first year of operation. Six escapes occurred during the jail’s 107-year existence. Only one hanging took place, Sidney Gordon Chambers was hung on December 16, 1946 for the murder of a 9-year-old St.Catharines girl.
The Carnegie library was one of 125 built in Canada with funding from the Carnegie Foundation. The library remained in use until 1977 when the Centennial Library was opened.
55 Church Street
Architect: Sidney Rose Badgley
Some elements from the library can be found around the city.